If you are moving from one home to another one and you are on a shoestring budget, you might be planning to move your belongings without using a professional moving company. If so, consider these ideas to make your move a smoother one.
Put Out The Word - Of course, packing and moving will be a lot easier if you get help. However, if you don't really have friends or family members who would be available to help, here are some suggestions.
- Consider going to the youth group of your church to see if any of the older teens would be willing to help you on the assigned moving day. These teens may be working on accumulating hours for a service award, which would benefit everybody involved.
- Another idea is to put out the word at your place of business to see if any of your co-workers can help, or if they have older kids who can pitch in.
- Think about trading favors with your neighbors. One way you could do that would be to exchange doing yard work for their help in your move.
- You'll certainly be a hero if you reward everybody with a meal at the end of the move. Pizza delivery and cool drinks would be perfect!
Consider What You'll Need For The Move - You may not have access to a large moving van, but you can come pretty close to matching what one could do.
- When you are looking for helpers, also find out if anybody is willing to drive a truck to move large items like furniture and heavy kitchen equipment.
- Does anybody you know have a flatbed trailer? That would be an excellent way to transport things like lawn mowers, bicycles, garden tools and other things that are not as delicate as your indoor furniture.
- Do you have a second vehicle that needs to be transported to your new home? If so, consider calling a company that does truck towing. Your second vehicle will be picked up and delivered by competent professionals who are licensed to make the move. If you are not going to be at your new destination on the same day that the towing truck arrives, it can be stored for a reasonable rate until it is convenient for you to accept delivery.
Making a list of everything that needs to be done before you can proceed with your move will help you to be able to check things off as you accomplish them.